I love a green salad.
Personally to me, when you mention the word salad it can instantly seem kind of plain, boring and unexciting when it comes to meal time. However, we are meant to eat lots of them because they are so good for us.
Well I am changing all that for myself and hopefully for you too if you feel in a boring salad rut.
My green salad is not plain, it is not boring, but rather it is actually quite exciting if I do say so myself. The secret is green flavour.
Salads are not just some kind of watery lettuce with a bit of cucumber that, lets face it, a lot of us grew up with - wet and on their way to mushy.
They are also not time consuming to make or complicated being full of hundreds of ingredients that all you can think is "who could be bothered". Salads get to be delicious, easy to prepare and rather simple yet decadent. Decadent not being a word often associated with salads but that is about to change.
My salad bases always start off dry and just before serving I add moisture with delicious sauces or dressings and a few of my fave wetter ingredient depending.
The good thing about starting with a dry base is that from there you can add and go in any direction with flavours each time. A dry base will also keep in the fridge for a few meals without turning to that mush with browning ingredients.
My green salad has a simple base and from there I add other tastes and flavours to suit my mood. Here is how I prepare my decadent green flavour salad.
Decadent Green Salad
1. One Leaf or Mix of Choice: Spinach, Kale, Asian Greens, Lettuce varieties.
2. Herb of Choice: Basil, Dill, Thyme, Mint, Coriander, Parsley and or a mix of a couple depending.
3. One Acid or Flavour Punch: Onion - red, brown, white, Shallots, Spring Onions (if you don't like onions simply skip).
Toppers: Add just before serving. The trick is to keep it simple. Often I will just pick one of the below types of ingredients and let it be the star of the
show salad however, here I have given you heaps of ideas to get your salad imagination flowing.
1. Meat of choice
2. One or Two Veggie or Egg Extras: Semi-Dried Tomatoes, Capsicum, Carrot, Cucumber (yes if you like it), Grated Zucchini, Asparagus, Pumpkin,
3. One or Two Nuts, Seeds or Spice: Cashews, Almonds, Walnuts, Macadamia, Chilli, Paprika, Pepper, Salt etc.
4. One Sprinkle Extras: Flax Seeds, Buckwheat, Noodles, Couscous, Pasta and more.
Dressing / The Moisture:
1. Go For It: What do your taste buds and ingredients suggest? My top four dressings that I love at the moment are below.
Lemon Olive Oil: Combine olive oil, lemon juice, mustard (optional), salt and pepper.
Macadamia Dressing: 60grms macadamia nuts, squirt of lemon juice, salt and pepper and herbs of choice (optional).
Process to a smooth past with some water to desired consistency.
Honey Soy: 2 tbs soy sauce, 1 tbs or more of honey, squirt of either lemon juice or mirin.
Curry Dressing: 1 tsp curry powder, 60mls coconut cream, salt & pepper, chilli (optional), tiny squirt fish sauce (optional), squirt of lime juice.
In a dry pan toast curry powder for 1 minute over heat. Add in the coconut cream and other flavourings and bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat and add lime juice. Serve warm or allow to cool.
Decadent salad perfection!!
I would love to here your thoughts and ideas on salad and any easy salad dressings that you love. Just share in the comments below.